Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved the new Khelo India Karyakram / खेलो इंडिया कार्यक्रम programme at a cost of Rs.1,756 crore for the period 2017-18 to 2019-20. This a great initiative from the government in the sports field. Previously it was Rajiv Gandhi Khel Yojana now it is upgraded with Khelo India Karyakram Scheme Yojana.
This Khelo India Programme will give major impact on entire sports ecosystem, including infrastructure, community sports, talent identification, coaching for excellence, competition structure and sports economy.
Khelo India- National Programme for Development of Sports:
- An unprecedented Pan Indian Sports Scholarship scheme, which would cover 1,000 most talented young athletes each year across select sports disciplines.
- Each athlete selected under the scheme shall receive an annual scholarship worth Rs. 5.00 lakh for 8 consecutive years.
- This is the first time ever that a long-term athlete development pathway would be made available to gifted and talented youngsters to excel in competitive sports and will create a pool of highly competitive athletes who can compete to win at the world stage.
- The Programme aims to promote 20 universities across the country as hubs of sporting excellence, which would enable talented sports persons to pursue the dual pathway of education and competitive sports.
- The Programme also aims at creating an active population with healthy life-style.
- The Programme would cover about 200 million children in the age group of 10-18 under a massive national physical fitness drive, which will not only measure the physical fitness of all children in the age group, but also support their fitness related activities.
Benefits of Khelo India Karyakram Yojana:
- खेलो इंडिया कार्यक्रम में खेलों में उत्कृष्टता प्राप्त करने के लिए प्रतिभाशाली और प्रतिभावान युवाओं के लिए लम्बे समय के लिए विकास मार्ग उपलब्ध कराया जाएगा।
- इस योजना से उन गरीब खिलाड़ियों को भी सहायता मिलेगी जो खेलो अपने सपने सकर करना चाहते हैं।
- इसके तहत प्रतिभाशाली ऐथलीट अपनी शिक्षा के साथ समझौता किए बिना प्रतियोगी खेलों में आगे बढ़ने में सक्षम हो पाएंगे।
- अखिल भारत छात्रवृत्ति जो पूरे भारत में कम से कम 1000 एथलीट प्रायोजित करेगी।
- भारत भर से 1000 उम्मीदवारों को छात्रवृत्ति के लिए चुना जाएगा।
- यह देश भर में 20 विश्वविद्यालयों को बढ़ावा देगा, जहां खेल के उत्कृष्टता के केंद्र हैं।
- खेलो इंडिया कार्यक्रम उद्देश्य युवाओं के बीच एक स्वस्थ जीवन शैली को बढ़ावा देना है।
- लगातार आठ वर्षों में 5 लाख रूपये चयनित उम्मीदवारों को छात्रवृत्ति के रूप में दिए जाएंगे।
- इस योजना से ग्रामीण क्षेत्रों के खिलाड़ियों को फायदा होगा।
Competition Structure Under Khelo India Scheme:
The competition will be held at Block/District/State and National level. The games/sports which are popular in a particular area shall be played as part of the competition at Block/District/State level. The competitions will be conducted in respect of five distinct age groups, namely, age above 6 -under 12, above 12 -under 18, above 18- under 36, above 36-under 50 and above 50.
The competitions above the age group of 36 are proposed keeping in mind the general health and wellbeing of adult population so that overall economy of the country gets a boost due to reduction of lifestyle and other diseases like obesity, diabetes etc. by adopting the physical activities and participation in these sports competitions. There shall be a separate set of competitions for physically challenged candidates. The competitions will be 100% funded by
Centre and it will be Central Sector Scheme
Khelo India Karyakram Yojana :
The power of sport in promoting gender equity and social inclusiveness is also fully recognised and special measures are provided for to achieve these objectives.
The programme also aims at engaging youth living in disturbed and deprived areas, in sporting activities, to wean them away from unproductive and disruptive activities and mainstream them in the nation-building process.
The programme strives to raise the standards of competition, both at school and college level, to have maximum access to organised sports competitions.
It also includes the use of latest user-friendly technology in all aspects of sports promotion such as, use of mobile apps for dissemination of sports training; National Sports Talent Search portal for talent identification; interactive website for indigenous sports; GIS based information system for locating and using sports infrastructure, etc.
This programme strives to promote “Sports for All” as well as “Sports for Excellence.”